- We have an extensive website (www.north-hill.co.uk) which has photographs and descriptions of each cottage.
- Bookings/enquiries can be made directly from the website or via email, telephone or letter.
- All guests are provided with written directions prior to arrival by email or hard copy if required.
- A car is recommended for access to North Hill but taxis are available.
- It is not practicle to get to Barnstaple on foot or by public transport.
- Barnstaple railway station is approximately 5 miles away with trains to Exeter.
- Supermarkets will deliver to North Hill.
- This access statement is available on our website.
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- Harvest Cottage has designated parking directly outside for up to 2 cars and Orchard for 1 car near the large pond.
- The other 7 cottages have a shared car park which can park up to 8/9 cars within a few paces from the cottages.
- Guests are requested to bring as few cars as practicable. No more than 1 car per cottage that sleeps 2 or 4 people and no more than 2 cars for cottages that sleep six in peak season except by prior arrangement.
- Guests can load and unload their cars directly outside the cottage prior to moving them to the car park.
- Harvest with parking directly outside, has no step into the cottage or once inside.
- Orchard has a very shallow step at the front and no steps inside.
- Access to Shippon, Byre and Rye involves 3 fairly shallow stone steps into the courtyard with a shallow step into the cottages. No steps within.
- Access to Willow is by 3 fairly steep steps into the ground floor of the cottage or by a short walk from the car park on a fairly flat surface to the rear door of Willow which enters the cottage on the upper floor. The lower and upper floors within Willow are connected by a flightless pine staircase.
- Access to Rowan is by 3 fairly steep steps into the ground floor of the cottage. The lower and upper floors within Rowan are connected by a steep oak staircase.
- Access to Holly and Ivy from the car park is via 3 stone steps or a fairly level path with shallow steps up into the cottage. They have no steps inside.
Main Entrance, Reception & Ticketing Area
- Each cottage has a nameplate outside.
- The owners who live adjacent to the cottages are generally on site for the arrival of guests. If guests arrive outside the designated time the key will be left on the outside of the cottage in the door so guests have immediate access. The owners will make contact as soon as possible.
- The designated arrival time is between 3-5pm and guests who are likely to arrive after 5 pm should contact the owners.
- Early arrival times are not possible during peak season but may be possible by arrangement in off-peak periods.
- There is a shared laundry facility at North Hill in the lower courtyard.
- There are 3 shallow stone steps into the lower courtyard and then a sigle shallow step just prior to entering the laundry room.
- It consists of 2 washing machines and 2 driers
- There is an honesty box to cover the cost of this facility.
- Guests are requested not to use the machines prior to 9.30am in the morning and after 6.00pm in the evening.
- There is a shared swimming pool at North Hill with two self closing locked entrances.
- Each cottage is provided with a key to each pool entrance along with their cottage key.
- One entrance near the car park has a single step up and the other two steps.
- The pool house contains a main pool measuring approximately 10m (33') by 3m(12') and a toddler pool approximately 2m (5') by 2.5m (10').
- The main pool has a shallow end approximately 0.95m(3') and the deep end 1.38m(4.5')
- The toddler pool is approximately 0.65m (2') deep.
- There is a unisex changing room with hot water shower (step up into shower), wash basin and standard toilet.
- The pool house also contains a Jacuzzi which has 3 steps up and is heated to 36-40 degrees. Guest can use the Jacuzzi free of charge but for bubbles/jets there is a £1 coin slot for 10 minutes of bubbles. This is not recommended for infirm guests or those with a heart condition.
- The pool house also contains a Sauna Cabin which provides 20 minutes of heat with a £1 coin. It is not recommended for infirm guests or those with a heart condition.
- After dark the pool is lit by sensor lights which come on in response to movement in the pool house.
- The pool is open from approximately 9.00am to 8.00pm each day.
- Both pools are heated to a comfortable 28-30 degrees centigrade
- There is a games room with table tennis, table football (40p per game) and pool table (50p per game)
Grounds and Gardens
- North Hill is set in 8 acres of lawn, flower/shrub beds and pasture.
- The lawns are generally sloped and enclosed with stone walling or thick hedges.
- BBQs are available to guests free of charge from the woodshed.(charcoal is not provided)
- Guests are welcome to walk dogs anywhere at North Hill. Please ensure dogs are cleared up after and bags are put in the large aluminium bin in the car park.
- Please be aware that sheep and lambs are often being grazed in adjacent fields so dogs should be kept on leads.
- All cottages are fitted with smoke and CO alarms. If they are activated please leave the cottage immediately and contact the owners who live in the farmhouse adjacent to the cottages.
- The pool house is fitted with 2 emergency sirons which are activated by pressing one of two large red buttons at either end of the pool. There is also emergency lighting near the exits if the power should fail.
- Up to two dogs per cottage are welcome at North Hill.(owners have discretion as to size of dogs)
- Smoking is not permitted within the cottages but ash trays are provided in each cottage so smokers can step outside.
- Most mobile phone networks function from each cottage (not Glebelands Cottage) and immediately around the cottages.
- Wi fi is available in all cottages (except Glebelands) free of charge. The signal is variable due to thick stone walls. A code to gain broadband access is available in the welcome notes in each cottage
Address: North Hill Cottages
Devon EX31 4LG
Telephone: 01271850611 (please ring this number first)
Hours of operation: All year round
Emergency number: 01271850611 (please ring this number first)
Local accessible taxi numbers: Kevs Kabs 01271376619
Contact Telephone and Email Address
We welcome your feedback to help us continually improve if you have any comments please phone 01271850611 or email email@example.com